1 Corinthians 12:4-7;12-19
– Recent Counsel for How to Bless Our Loved Ones…
– Remind One Another that we Are Free in Christ… Free from Self…
– Remind One Another that we are Slaves to God…
– The Counsel Continues and Centers on a Proper View of Self and a Proper View of other
Christians – and Begins by Looking at the Gifts (Talents) God has Given Each of Us…
1 Cor 12:4,5a Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of
– God Gives Every Believer Gifts…
– God Gives Us a Passion for Certain Areas of Service to Others, and He Gives Us Skills in
those Same Areas…
– What Types of Gifts are in View?
Rom 12:6-8 Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if
prophecy (Proclaiming God’s Word), in proportion to our faith; if service, in our
serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his
exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal;
the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
– Every Talent we Have is a gift from God…
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the
Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
– Is there a Purpose Behind God Giving Us These Gifts?
1 Pet 4:10,11 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's
varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever
serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in
everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.
1 Cor 12:4-6 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of
service , but the same Lord 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the
same God who empowers them all in everyone.
– Why Does God Give Us Such Gifts?
– Is it for Our Own Enjoyment – is that the Point?
1 Cor 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
– For Your Consideration…
– God has Given Us All Gifts to Serve Others and to Be Used to Spread His Love Into the
– We Each Have Gifts…
– Those Gifts are Not All the Same for All of Us…
– For Your Consideration…
– Together, We All Possess Gifts and Collectively Serve as the Body of Christ…
– as the Body of Christ on Earth, God Uses Us to Spread His Love into the World…
1 Cor 12:12,13 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the
body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we
were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were
made to drink of one Spirit.
– Does Everyone Receive the Exact Same Types of Gifts?
1 Cor 12:14,15 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should
say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make
it any less a part of the body.
– The Body of Christ is a Unified Body. What Unites Us All Is our Common Head – Christ Jesus
Our Common Lord & Master…
– The Point of the Body Metaphor – No Two of Us are Exactly Alike & yet Each of Us are Greatly
Needed and are of Value…
1 Cor 12:16-18 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the
body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole
body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole
body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it
is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as He
– God Chose You to be Where You are in the Body of Christ and you are an Important Member of
the Body. You are an Instrument of Grace in the Body of Christ. You have Great Value…
– How Should We See Ourselves?
– as vessels of Blessing in God’s Power…
– as a Person God Crafted with Gifts to Serve and Spread His Love into the World – One
Relationship at a Time
– How Should We See Other Believers?
– as vessels of Blessing in God’s Power & as People God Crafted with Gifts to Serve and
Spread His Love into the World
1 Cor 12:18-20 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as He
chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As
it is, there are many parts, yet one body.
– We, Together, Are God’s Instruments of Blessing in This World…We Should Praise God for
Being So Privileged. We Should Support One Another and Aid One Another in Living as Vessels
Rom 15:5,6 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with
one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice declare the glory of the
God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.