1 Corinthians 13:1-7
– Counsel for Living as We Aught:
– See Everyone as Equals
– Confess our Sins to self, to God & to others
– Confess our Need for Daily Depending Upon God’s Grace as We Struggle with
– View Everyone in the Kingdom as Valuable
– 1 Corinthians has a Final Bit of Counsel for Teaching Our Hearts to:
– Honor God
– Proclaim His Glory
– Serve Our Fellow Brothers & Sisters in Christ
1 Cor 13:1,2 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a
noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
– Love is the Greatest Gift God Gives Us with Which to Bless Others…
Romans 5:5b God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who
has been given to us.
– Clanging Cymbals make Noise for All to Hear and Draw Attention to Self – this is not
How we are to Give & Serve…
Matt 6:3 And when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your
right hand is doing
– There is a Purpose for the Knowledge and Skill (Gifts) the Lord has Given Us…
1 Cor 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
1 Cor 13:3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but
have not love, I gain nothing.
– Personal Sacrifice Should Not be Designed not to Draw Attention to Self
– Personal Sacrifice Should be Motivated to:
– Honor God
– Proclaim God’s Glory
– Be Manifestations of Love for Others…
– Love then is the Ultimate Motive…
– Love for God
– Love for the Glory of God
– Love for Others…
And He said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
– How Should Our Love Look?
– How can we measure whether we have been Other-Centered and Loving or Just
Outwardly Obedient for Self-Serving Gain…
1 Cor 13:4-7
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not
insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing,
but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures
Questions to Consider:
– Do we Struggle with patience Towards Others and their Shortcomings?
– Do we Struggle with Envy – even in the Quiet of our Own hearts?
– Can we Truly Say we are free from Arrogance?
– Do we too often Need to have it “Our Way”?
– Are we Sometimes Irritable?
– Do we Rejoice in seeing the Truth – even if that Truth Challenges us?
– Do we Trust God for Our Future – no matter what we Face?
– Are we Hopeful no Matter what we Face?
– Do we keep getting up in His Power even when we Fall?
May the Lord Bless Each of You at American Falls Community Church. Phyl & I are so thankful to the
Lord for His Blessing us through each of you. May the Lord continue to Bless each of you and may His
Grace be showered even more fully upon American Falls Community Church than ever before. Praise
Him, my friends. Honor Him. Love Him & enjoy the great hope that is yours in Christ. We are all so
blessed! May we all proclaim the excellencies of He who called us out of darkness into light. Finally, my
friends, May the Lord move us all to be obedient in love to John 3:30…
He must increase, but I must decrease,
And may we never forget…
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good for those who are
called according to His purpose.
We Love You All in the Lord,
Rob and Phyllis