1 Corinthians 3:4-3:23
– The Scriptures Tell us that We Can See the Full Spectrum of Life Because God the Holy Spirit is
at Work in Us – but we can also think like the People of the World…
Rom 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing
of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His
good, pleasing and perfect will.
– The People of the World See Others on a Hierarchy. We should not Think Like This. We should
see all People as people to Love and Serve – no Matter How the World Sees them – We are all
1 Cor 3:4-7 For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not
being merely human? 5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through
whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos
watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters
is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
– No Human is Worthy of Following What we see in that Person that is Good & Noble & Worth
Following is really the Grace of God at Work In and Through that Person.
– The Appropriate Thing to do with that Person is to Thank the Lord Together for the Grace He
Worked through Them – Praise the Lord Together for the Blessings Received – Worship God
1 Cor 3:8,9 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages
according to his labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's
field, God's building.
– We are Fellow Workers to Declare God’s Excellencies to Each other and to those we Love who
do not yet Know Christ…
– Now the Holy Spirit Moves Paul to Teach Us that While we but Plant and are but Workers and it
is God who Does All the Blessings and Growth… we Still should Plant Well…
1 Cor 3:10,11 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and
someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no
one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
– By God’s Grace, We are to be a Wise Builder…
Matthew 7:24 Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise
man who built his house on the rock.
1 Cor 3:12-15 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or
straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to
light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each
person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a
reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be
saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.
– This Reward for the Believer is Grace Upon Grace.
John 1:16 For from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
1 Cor 3:16,17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit
dwells in your midst? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that
person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
– This is a Reminder that Life is not about us. Life is about God and God at Work In and Through
Us Spreading His Love Into the World
– What is the Greatest Thing About Us?
– God the Holy Spirit Resides in Us and is at Work In and Through Us…we are the
Temple of the Holy Spirit!
– It is Not So Much We Who Make the Difference in Others Lives…But God at Work In and
Through Us that Makes the Difference…
– What we Have to Share is not so Much from the World. But rather what God shares through us…
as He moves us to sow and water…but it is He who Gives the Growth…
1 Cor 3:18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of
this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.
– Whatever Blessings Flow from Us to Others is not our Wisdom Shared that makes the
but God’s Grace worked through us that makes the Difference…
1 Cor 3:19-23 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He
catches the wise in their craftiness”; 20 and again, “The Lord knows that the
thoughts of the wise are futile.” 21 So then, no more boasting about human
leaders! All things are yours, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world
or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23 and you are of
Christ, and Christ is of God.
– In Closing May we all Remember that:
– we are the Temple of the Holy Spirit…
– we should never Take for Granted the Incredible Privilege of having God residing in us
and working through us…
– God at Work In and Through Us is the Difference Maker – not Us…
– A Practical Take Away
– May we Never Follow Others…
– May we Never Desire to be Followed…
– May we Always seek to Aid our Loved Ones in Following the Lord…
Address one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord
with your heart