1 Corinthians 6:1-11
– 1 Corinthians Lessons for Treating Other Believers; So Far…
– We are all Equals
– We are to Worship, Praise, Thank, Honor & Serve God Together – as Equals
– We are to Hold Each Other Accountable and Share Each Other’s Burdens
– In Chapter 6, a new Christian-to-Christian Relational Issue is Presented…
What should we do when there is a Deep Grievance Between Two Christians?
Matt 18:15 If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him
alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not
listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be
established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to
them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him
be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.
– In the Troubled 56AD Corinthian Church they were Settling Grievances Between Themselves
through the Public Court System and acting Like those in the World…
1 Cor 6:1-3 When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before
the unrighteous instead of the saints? 2 Or do you not know that the saints will
judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to
try trivial cases?
– What is being Said is We should not try to Settle Grievances the Way the People of the World do.
We should Settle Grievances between Brothers/Sisters by Seeking the Counsel of those in the
Church or the Church Itself…
1 Cor 6:4-8 So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no
standing in the church? 5 I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one
among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers, 6 but brother
goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers? 7 To have lawsuits at all
with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why
not rather be defrauded? 8 But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even your
– The Lesson Here is Clear…
– If we Have a Problem with a Brother/Sister, try to Settle it Face-to-Face under Christian
Counsel and do so in Love and Before there is any Legal Action, Concede Your Rights to
Col 3:13 Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgive each
other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Rom 12:18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
– In Summary – we are the “Righteous” in Christ and we are to Handle Conflict as the
Righteous…We are not to Settle Disputes the way the Unrighteous of the World
– Our Next Verse Needs Some Set-up…
– How are we Viewed by the Father From the Judgment Seat of God?
– Are we viewed as Idolators, Liars, and Sinners? No!
– We are viewed as the Righteous b/c we have the Righteousness of Christ
1 Cor 6:9,10 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do
not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor
men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards,
nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
– We All Have Committed Sins of Idolatry, Greed, Lust, etc. – But that is Not Who we Are…
We are the Bride of Christ with the Perfections of Christ in our Account…
1 Cor 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you
were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
– Those who are NOT in Christ who Commit these Sins ARE Idolators, Greedy, Lustful – and they
will not Inherit the Kingdom of God…
– We – who sin just like them – we are Forgiven and we have Already Inherited the Kingdom…
that is what we call Grace!
2 Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away;
behold, the new has come.
– The Point Here is to Handle Conflict as People who have Received Grace. We are to be Forgiving
& Willing to Concede our Rights if it Honors God and is Best for Serving the Other Person…
Our Heart Attitude Towards our Brothers/Sisters in Conflict with Us
Remember that we are to Give Grace in all we say…
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good
for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who
Remember that we are to NOT Sin in Response to Conflict…
Eph 4:30,31 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for
the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and
clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
Remember to Forgive as we have Been Forgiven…
Col 3:13 Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another,
forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must
Even in Conflict, We are Charged with the Ministry of Reconciliation…
2 Cor 5:18,19 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the
ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to
himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the
message of reconciliation.