1 Corinthians 6:19
– From 1 Corinthians 5…
– The Sin of Presumption was a Problem in 51 AD in Corinth…
– What is this sin attitude?
– “Since all my Sins are Forgiven, Sin is not really that big of a deal”
– From 1 Corinthians 6…-
– The Abuse of Christian Liberty was a Problem in 51 AD in Corinth…
– What is this sin attitude?
– “We are under Grace, not the Law – so we need not follow rules…we are free to
live as we see fit…”
– Today we Look at Freedom in Christ and Ask…
– What is Freedom in Christ?
– How should we Respond to our Freedom in Christ?
John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
– How are we Free in Christ?
Answer #1: We are Free from the Eternal Implications of Our Sin…
Romans 8:1-3 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ
Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus
from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the
law, weakened by the flesh, could not do.
2 Cor 5:21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might
become the righteousness of God in Him.
Answer #2: We are Free from Worrying about our Eternity…
Rom 8:38,39 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things
present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor
anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of
God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Answer #3: We are Free From the Tyranny of Serving Self…
1 Cor 1:30 And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom
from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption…
– We Need Not Seek After Redemption for God the Son is our Redemption…
– We do not need to Pursue our Salvation – it is ours in Christ…
– we Never Need to have a Self-serving Motive for what we do…
– We Do Not Need to…
– Prove our Worthiness to God
– Attempt to Earn God’s Favor
– Maintain our Relationship with God through our Conduct
– This Frees us to Love God by Loving Others…
Gal 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an
opportunity for the flesh [to serve self], but through love serve one another.
– How Should We Respond to Such Grace?
Col 3:16b,17 … sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to
God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the
Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
– In All This Beautiful Freedom We have Received in Christ, we are No Longer Slaves to Sin and
Selfish Ambition – but we are Still Slaves. We are Slaves to God
Romans 6:22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the
fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.
– What does it Mean to be Slaves to God? We are Not Our Own…
1 Cor 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you,
whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a
price. So declare God’s glory in your body.
– There is Nothing Better than being a Slave to God. Slaves Live to Serve & Honor their Master
and our Triune God is Our Master!
1 Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s
own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you
out of darkness into His marvelous light.
– In 51 AD the Corinthian Believers took Freedom in Christ to Mean that they could Live any way
They Desired and they did not realize that in Doing This they were Unnecessarily Enslaving
Themselves to Their Own Selfish Ambition…
– Applying this to Ourselves
– We Unnecessarily Enslave Ourselves to Our Own Selfish Ambition If we:
– Live for Self
– Have our Pursuits be for Self
– We Build our Agenda Around Self Alone
Gal 5:1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a
yoke of slavery.
Rom 6:16,17 … you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death,
or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you
who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard
of teaching to which you were committed.
– Our Takeaway
– We have Freedom in Christ…
– We are Free from the Eternal Implications of Our Sin…
– We are Free from Worrying about our Eternity…
– We are Free From the Tyranny of Serving Self…
– We can Make the Mistake that those in Corinth in 51 AD made – We can live for Self
even when we do not Need to…
– When we Live for Self, we Enslave Ourselves Unnecessarily & We do so at the Expense
of our Loved Ones & We Dishonor God and Grieve the Holy Spirit
– We are Slaves to God & Nothing Could be Better…
– We should Seek His Grace to Live for the Lord and to Love Others and Live for Their