1 Thessalonians 5:19-22
– The Listing of Commands Designed to Bless us & Make us a Blessing as we wait to meet our
– For the Next Command, we Need Some Cultural Context
– at the time of the writing of 1 Thessalonians, the church had no Complete Bible or any
extensive Christian Literature…
– the People had to rely on other People who spoke on the things of God – such people
were called Prophets…
– The Greek Word Rendered as “Prophet” in English means “One who “Speaks Forth the
Word of God” …
– In the Passage we are About to Read a Prophet could be:
– Inspired (like Paul) – in the Construction of the Bible – But only those who were
Human Authors of the Bible were Inspired…
– Prophets Inspired by the Holy Spirit in the Construction of the Bible were
Inerrant… Every Word they Spoke was from God…
2 Pet 1:21 For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spoke from God
as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
– In the Passage we are About to Read could be:
– any person speaking on God’s Word
– such prophets are not Inspired… anyone speaking Truth about God consistent
with the Word of God was/is a Prophet… like Apollos (not inspired like Paul; but
a teacher of truth from the Word)
– such people can make errors and do not bring in “new content” from God. All
content from God is already in the Bible (having been written by inspired
prophets). Uninspired prophets, like Apollos and us simply teach God’s Word –
we “Speak Forth the Word of God”
– In Our Context Now, the Bible Canon is closed – and has been for 2000 years. Since the Closing
of the Canon, there are no more Inspired Prophets… All we have had since the closing of the
canon are prophets who expound upon God’s Word.
– One Last Principle in Review – All Truth is Revealed to us by God the Holy Spirit…
John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will
teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
– God the Holy Spirit Wrote the 66 Books of the Bible through sinful men (Prophets) who were
Inspired to Bring to Humanity the Very Words of God. The result is the Inerrant Word of God.
No such Inspired Prophets have existed since 68AD
– Since 68AD, Truth is Taught to us by God the Holy Spirit working through Errant Humans. This
is not New Truth – but Truth from the Already-Established Word of God
1 Thes 5:19-21 Do not quench the Spirit, 20 do not despise prophesying, 21 but test everything;
hold fast what is good, 22 abstain from every form of evil
– What is this Teaching?
– in Context it is that we should not Ignore the Spiritual Content spoken by Others. We
should Listen – and then test everything
– In Pauls’ Day, why were Some Despising Prophecy (Teaching)?
– Perhaps because there were so many False teachers (False Prophets) and so much False
Teaching was out there that many were confused and just quit trying…
– Today, some argue that Doctrine Divides & so they do not have Sunday School and, in
some cases, even sermons anymore. The idea is to not dive deep into the Word but just
talk about salvation & blessings. The idea being that all that matters is what Pertains to
our Salvation… This is Modern Day Quenching of the Spirit. But this is wrong!
– Everything in God’s Word Matters
Matthew 4:4 But He answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every
word that comes from the mouth of God.’
– We are to Listen to and the Evaluate what we Hear Against God’s Word and embrace
what is True an throw out what is False (evil)…
– Whatever Teaching that is False & Counters God’s Word is considered Morally Evil &
– Several Opinions to Consider
– the vast Majority of False Prophets (False Teachers) who Speak False Prophesy (False
Teachings) are not Purposefully False Teaching. They simply do not yet know the
– One must Know that what they are Teaching is Untrue in order to Lie. Rarely do
Teachers Lie to us… Rather they Speak Untruths…
– There is a Massive Array of False Teaching in American Christendom today, but it is
Overwhelmingly Untruths that are spoken; not Lies…
– Still untruths are to be abandoned. Latch onto and embrace only that which you hear the
lines up fully with Biblical teachings.
– The Take-Home Message
– All Truth is Revealed by God the Holy Spirit through Sinful Men
– God the Holy Spirit Directly Inspired those Sinners who wrote the 66 Books of the
Inerrant Bible – those who wrote the Bible were a special class of Prophets – Inspired
– There have been No Inspired Prophets Since the Bible Canon Closed
– today Prophets are any of us who Speak God’s Word – any of us are, as we speak,
Prophesying… merely “Speaking Forth the Word of God” – when we speak truth it is the
Spirit in us moving us to do so. When we make errors, it is we who author the errors.
We can make mistakes. But all truth we know and speak is a gift of God given to us &
– in our Culture it is clearest to see the Word Prophet and think Teacher and see the word
Prophesy as Teaching
– there are many False Teachers and False Teachings Out There. Most False Teachings are
not Lies but Untruths Spoken in Ignorance. Either way – whether Purposeful or
Accidental, False teaching is to be Shunned. We should Listen to all Teachings and
Measure the Content Against God’s Word; embracing truth, rejecting error.
… they received the Word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were