2 Thessalonians 1:1-12
– The Founding of the Church at Thessalonica was by Paul, Silas, Timothy and Luke during the
2nd Missionary Journey – in 50/51 AD (Acts 17:1–10).
– They were then forced to leave Thessalonica after a few short months… they then went
to Athens & then to Corinth
– a few months later, Paul sent Timothy back to check on the state of the Thessalonians’
Faith & Timothy soon returned with a good report, prompting Paul to write 1
Thessalonians from Corinth in late 51 AD…
– Six months later, Paul heard of Increased Persecution & Sent Timothy back Again…
– Timothy came back with yet another Positive Report of God’s Maintaining and Growing
the Thessalonican Believers faith…
– 2 Thessalonians was then written as an extension of the 1st Letter and was written in
mid- 52 AD
2 Thes 1:1-3 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, to the church of the Thessalonians in God our
Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: 2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father
and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 We ought always to give thanks to God for you,
brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of
every one of you for one another is increasing.
– “your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing”
– God’s Gracious Work of Sanctifying the People was Evident and Paul thus Thanked the Lord…
2 Thes 1:4,5 Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your
steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are
enduring. 5 This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may
be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering
– We Cannot Undergo the Sanctification Process while in Good Times Alone – we Need Trial &
Affliction for the Lord to teach Us there what Only can be Taught There…
– In What Follows, We learn that God does Judge those who do not know Him and who Afflict His
People. He Afflicts them with Vengeance… and is Right in Doing so…
2 Thes 1:6-8 since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict
you, 7 and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord
Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, inflicting
vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the
gospel of our Lord Jesus.
– A Warning Note: Let us never Forget that – Based on Who we are and what we have done – we
deserve the Same Judgment… Praise God for His Grace…
– The Judgment of those who are Unsaved is reserved for the 2nd Coming… and we should not
want anyone to have to experience such Judgment…
2 Thes 1:6-8 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of
the Lord and from the glory of His might, 10 when He comes on that day to be
glorified in His saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed,
because our testimony to you was believed.
– Yet Again for Your Consideration…
– We can Embrace Biblical Truth in a Sinful Manner…
– We can Embrace the Judgment of God against Others in a Selfish and Unloving
– May the Lord Protect us from such Sin…
If not for the Grace of God, there go I…
Rom 8:1,2 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For
the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin
– Paul now Tells them how He is Praying for them in their Afflictions and He calls Upon the
Sanctifying Grace of our All-loving God…
2 Thes 1:11 To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of His
calling and may [God] fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by
– We need God’s Grace to have Resolve for Good…
– Resolve means “having a firm commitment on a course of action”
– Thus, Paul Prays that the Lord give the Thessalonicans a “firm commitment on a course
of action towards Good – even in trying times of Affliction…”
Is there a Difference Between telling a Child to be Good & telling them to Seek the Grace of God to Move
them to be Good?
– Why Does Paul Tell the Thessalonicans How he is Praying for Them?
– Perhaps that they would Realize that all Sanctification is from God to Get them Trusting
God and His Enabling Grace and not Depend on Themselves…
– Should we tell Our Loved Ones How We are Praying for Them?
– For your Consideration… YES!
2 Thes 1:11,12 To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of His
calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by His
power, 12 so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in
Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
– May the Name of the Lord be Hallowed in us May we embrace more fully now than ever before
the Reality that our Loving Savior is the Only Reason our Future is Blessed…
– May we embrace more fully now than ever before the Reality that our Loving Savior is
the Only Reason our Future is Blessed… and may we Praise Him for it!